The Right Loan For You The Loan Process Apply For a Mortgage Rent vs. Buy Calculator Your Credit Score Contact Us

 Before You Can Apply For a VA Insured Loan

In order to apply for a VA loan you must obtain a Certificate of Eilibility from the Venterans Administration (VA).  To request a Certificate of Eligibility through mail or overnight delivery, the veteran must complete form VA form 26-1880.pdf and submit it to the VA Eligibility Center along with acceptable proof of service as described on the instruction page of the form.  Certificate's of Eligibility should be submitted to the Winston-Salem Eligibility Center in one of the following manners:

                    By Regular Mail:   

                    P.O. Box 20729 
                    Winston-Salem, NC 27120

                    For overnight delivery:  

                    251 Main Street 
                    Winston-Salem, NC 27155

You can contact the VA Eligibilty Center Toll free at: 1-888-244-6711 or by email at:

Depending on volume, your Certificate of Eligibility will be completed within 1 – 2 weeks.


 Required Information

In addition to form VA form 26-1880.pdf, you must also submit proof of military service. If you were separated after October 1,1979, and you received DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, 1 July edition, the VA must be furnished Copy 4 of the form. You may submit either original papers or legible copies. 


  Military Record Requests: Proof of Military Service 

If you do not have a copy of your form DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty), you can request a copy by completing the following directions.

1. Download, print and mail a copy of the VA form SF 180.pdf to the National Personnel Record Center at the address below.


Where to send my request

You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives's National Personnel Record Center (NPRC). Most, but not all records, are stored at the NPRC. Be sure to use the address specified by eVetRecs or the instructions on the SF-180. 

  • NPRC Fax Number :

    • NPRC Mailing Address:
      National Personnel Records Center
      Military Personnel Records
      9700 Page Avenue
      St. Louis, MO 63132-5100



Military personnel and health record information is usually free for veterans, next-of-kin, and authorized representatives. If your request involves a service fee, you will be notified as soon as possible.


Checking the Status of Your Request:

Once you have allowed sufficient time for us to receive and process your request (about 10 days), you may check the status of your request by e-mail through our NPRC Customer Service Center at Please provide the request number if you have one, the name, address and phone number of the requester, and the veteran's branch of service to aid us to finding your request in our system. You will receive a return e-mail from us with a projected completion date for your request.

You may also telephone the NPRC Customer Service Line at: 314-801-0800.